Friday, July 11, 2008

Obama to Working Women

Cross-Posted at Feminism in 2008 Election and Beyond

I am pleased that Obama is reaching out to women and advocating family-friendly policies:

During a town hall in Fairfax, Virginia today, Obama said:

Growing up, I saw my mother, a young single mom, put herself through school, and follow her passion for helping others while raising me and my sister. But I also saw how she struggled to provide for us, worrying sometimes about how she'd pay the bills.

I saw my grandmother, who helped raise me, work her way up from a secretary at a bank to become one of the first women bank vice presidents in the state. But I also saw how she ultimately hit a glass ceiling - how men no more qualified than she was kept moving up the corporate ladder ahead of her.

And I've seen my wife, Michelle, the rock of the Obama family, juggle jobs and parenting with more skill and grace than anyone I know. But I've also seen how it tears at her. How sometimes, when she's with the girls, she's worrying about work - and when she's at work, she's worrying about the girls. It's a feeling I share every day - especially these days, when I'm away so much on the campaign trail.

It's something I hear all the time from working parents, especially working women - many of whom are working more than one job to make ends meet.
This morning the campaign rolled out a report on the impact of the Obama economic plan for America's working women nationwide. Barack's plan will provide a tax cut to 71 million working women, guarantee seven days of paid sick leave for 22 million additional women, and make childcare more affordable for 7.5 million working mothers. His plan is designed to give working women the opportunity to not just get by, but to get ahead in our economy – to build a nest egg, save for retirement, start a business and provide a better life for their children.

No comments: